Thursday, June 19, 2008

Rocketmail, WHYmail?

So MicroHoo didn't happen, and now Yahoo has launched a new, and innovative initiative to regain some of their lost shine. They've opened up Rocketmail and ymail e-mail addresses.

Their spokesperson, Yahoo VP John Kremer, said: “People want an e-mail address that reflects who they are, whether they are signing up for an e-mail address for the first time, or simply updating their e-mail pseudonym to reflect the stage they are at in life.”

John.... When is the last time you went through the process of changing your personal e-mail address? I say process, because it is one. Despite being on Gmail for more than a year, I still occasionally check my previous address, because people who had it years ago still send me e-mail there (and are quickly given my 'new' e-mail).

Hey look, I get it... there is something cool about getting "mikebush" as a user name (like I managed to do on twitter and friendfeed... feel free to add me on either... or both).

But really... is opening up new e-mail domains really the next big thing?

No comments: