Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Product advertising that doesn't suck?

So, it isn't often that I read about some new form of advertising that could be appealing to me. Face it, I live in Manhattan, and have, for the most part, become immune to most forms of advertising (when people stop to look at billboards that are big enough to cover sections of MSG, I'm usually the one who tries to figure out why they're stopped... as opposed to realizing there's a 40 foot Optimus Prime looking me in the face).

But now... it seems like Tivo might have figured out something that could work for me. The one thing I am guilty of, when falling for ads, is the impulse buy... and if Tivo can make the impulse buy super easy, it may have found itself a winner.

The most important thing about making this successful though, in my mind anyway, is making it so that people don't feel like they're being advertised to. Tivo's new toy needs to be positioned as a service, connecting customers/consumers with the products that they like.

Should be fun to see if Tivo can pull it off.

1 comment:

Tanya said...

Z100.com does something similar with iTunes. When I listen to the radio station's stream over its website if I like the current track playing I can click on a link and buy the song straight through iTunes.

Home Shopping Network does it as well. If you are watching (as my mom is an avid watcher) and you like something you see on screen, click the green button on the cable remote and you can buy it instantly.

Not really helping the credit crunch but still very cool concept...

-t