Wednesday, July 9, 2008

What happens if it rains?

July 4th is big in my family, so I spent the weekend in my home town with my folks. My parents are typical upstate NY snow-birds... they spend half the year in Florida and half the year in Upstate NY.

As such, they seem like the perfect people to be on board with cloud computing, rather than having to schlep a desktop computer with them every time they switch cities.

So, as I am extolling the virtues of saving docs and such in the cloud (my mom couldn't believe she could have access to her recipes from anywhere), I was asked a great question:

What happens if it rains?

Turns out... my folks' silly question became a reality yesterday, when Google docs went down.

Now, here's the question I have for users of Google's productivity suite: How much downtime is enough to make you go back to Microsoft (or open office)?

No comments: