Friday, January 11, 2008

Code Caddies

Really... I didn't have any intention of making the first few posts into an ISP-bashing festival... and I truly can't be blamed if they are going to keep making it unbelievably easy.

First off.. let's get something established... I am lumping wireless carriers and ISP's into one group. Mobility is here, and only will continue to grow... so in my mind, ISP's and Wireless carriers are now becoming one vertical. I'd lump them as "pipe providers"... but that's not accurate. I'd propose calling them Code Caddies.

They really only have one specific function: carry data from Point A to Point B.

So now, another of these Code Caddies is doing something fascinating: Verizon is making their "open wireless plan" completely useless. They are going to charge by the data usage on their network.

In the article I linked to, Dan Frommer said it very well: "Which means if you want to watch a lot of videos or make a lot of Internet phone calls, it probably won't be cheap."

Did Verizon just provide a glimpe into their version of 'open access' should they actually win the upcoming 700 MHz spectrum auction? After all... they never really wanted to offer open access anyway.

No comments: