Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Netflix- a little too little

Yesterday, the blogosphere was all over the fact that Netflix is making their streaming video option unlimited. It was hailed as a preemptive strike on Apple, and virtually every blogger I read covered the story.

My favorite coverage came from Will Richmond over at Videonuze, and can be found here (even if I think Will missed the boat with his 'small percentage of the population' comment... seriously... has he EVER ridden the subway?)

Here's the thing that no one is saying though:

Netflix is making a move against what is allegedly going to be announced today at Macworld... but there's one major problem: Netflix streaming doesn't work on Macs.

From their FAQ's:

"Currently the Netflix Movie Viewer requires Internet Explorer Version 6 or later running on Windows XP Service Pack 2 or Vista."

Now... Netflix isn't the only company doing some sort of online video that isn't Mac friendly. Quite frankly... there's a lot of them. But somehow, I see this lack of Mac-friendliness as a really silly move for all of them. Maybe it's my perception (being tainted by my own reality as a Mac user), but it seems to me that the person who is most likely to step away from traditional TV and replace it with an Internet connection is a Mac user (if you happen to have numbers available to either prove me right or wrong... I'd be thrilled to see them).

You can read just about any blog written by an early adopter, and almost certainly... the writer is using a Mac..... so when does Netflix ad the rest of the online video community figure that out?

Oh well... it's countdown time to Macworld... time to get ready to worship at the altar of Jobs.

No comments: