Monday, January 21, 2008

My morning as a webworker

A little off topic

So, today is a holiday, and the PR firm I work with is "closed." As a side note, there is no such thing as a day off when you work in PR. Does Reuters ever stop broadcasting and writing? Have you ever seen CNBC display a "sorry, we're not broadcasting today because it is a holiday"?

Answer: no.

So, I thought I'd keep a running log of what my morning working from home is like, and what I learned.

9am: Sit in on a client interview. I took this one from my cell phone, and used the three-way calling feature. Note to self: the three-way calling feature on my cell phone absolutely stinks. In hindsight, I should have opened a bridge line, and had everyone dial in.

10:20am: yes... it was a long interview. I start editing some web copy for a client. I picked up the request from remote log in to my company e-mail, and went to work, editing in an e-mail. Here's what I learned: Never edit for a long time when using microsoft's remote log in. If you're in one e-mail for a long time and you then click "send".... it is possible that you will have been logged out and any changes are lost (if you happen to know... is it possible that there is a setting I can change to make this not happen? leave it in the comments and much appreciated).

11:28- I finally send out my re-written web copy (that I re-wrote twice.... thanks again Microsoft). Within 2 minutes... I get responses from other people who are "off" today. Gotta love a firm dedicated to customer service.

11:30- I move on to writing a press release. Apparently, I am one of the 4% of people using Google Docs. Although I have no doubt when I get in tomorrow, at least one person will ask me why. (Easy answers: Cost and sharing).

12:40 or so... I'm taking off for a couple of hours (after all... it is a holiday). Need to drop my laundry off (how is it possible I used to do my own laundry).

Final thoughts: I could definitely be a webworker (hey... I read WWD every day), but a few things would need to happen.

1- I need a mouse (which i don't currently have with me... since I also don't have a desk in my apartment(
2- I need to have a home office (the debate about where to write a press release focused on 'lying in bed' or 'sitting on a couch').
3- I need a conference bridge line.

Anyway... back to ranting about ISP's and talking other tech things tomorrow. Happy (rest of the) holiday

No comments: