Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Hi, I met you on the phone book

Last night, a fellow flack from the company I work with and I went out to Whiskey Park for FlashMashMeet. First off: Kudos to Adam Hirsch and the Mashable crew for throwing a really solid networking event and party.

That said, as the event wore on and networking started to become a little easier (is it just me, or should someone do a study on networking events prior-to when and after after everyone has 2 drinks in them), I was shocked by how many people were using their Facebook profile as the way to stay in touch. Even those of us who didn't forget their business cards (I know... this is one of the 10 commandments of being a flack) were passing out their cards and saying "Hey, look me up on Facebook".

It got me thinking.... was Rupert right when he called Facebook a phone book?

I don't think so, but it's becoming clear that the "Social Utility" is muscling in on LinkedIn's space, and doing so in a hurry by creating one place for professionals in tech scene to stay in touch.

Taking it a step further, in a moment that Jeff Pulver would be proud of, I met Sarah Meyers. It may have been the most awkward introduction ever (seriously.... think 14 year old guy prior to a school dance asking the cool 16 year old girl to go with him). While social networks and twitter make it easy to start a conversation because... in theory... you know a little about each other... they also make it really easy to sound creepy (Hi, I follow you... on Twitter .... should never be an introduction.)

Anyway. What's your social networking meets the real world story?

No comments: