Monday, February 25, 2008

Adventures in Going Mobile... on Twitter

TheSocialTimes.com finally convinced me to try taking Twitter mobile. Let's say it was a bit of an adventure on my part... not entirely because I'm not tech-savvy.... but because technology was conspiring against me.

First off... I entered my phone number like I was supposed to... but somehow missed the "place a '1' in front of US numbers." Completely my lack of paying attention. My mistake.

Then.. I figured that out...and texted the code they asked me to text.

New problem: My phone automatically makes the first letter of a text Capitalized... oops.

I realize that's happening.. and it still doesn't work. Now... terribly perplexed... I read the FAQ's, and realize the default on my phone ends with a signature.... which I need to remove.

Finally: SUCCESS. I even let my friends over at theSocialTimes.com know I took their advice.

One more problem: Apparently... Twitter saved all of the attempted tries to go mobile... and once I finally was successful.... it posted them.

Here's a weird privacy question I have though: Twitter mistakenly just posted a few different variations of my account password to set up a phone. That can't be good, can it? I understand.. it's pretty much my own fault... but um.... this is a user error with a few challenges (imagine if something happened when I tried to set up my bank account to go mobile... if I had cash worth mentioning... this would be a major issue.).

So, to all of my Twitter friends who were wondering why I had 3 or 4 Tweets with some random variations of text (no.. I wasn't tweet'ing from a bar)... I apologize for spamming you. It wasn't at all on purpose. But... I can say.... it is a weird experience.

I guess that's why the plants that are smart enough to use Twitter are running through a laptop.

No comments: