Friday, February 29, 2008

Sprint Step 1- Complete

Despite a really rough day for the company... a day in which the could have almost purchased Yahoo with their losses (hey look, a company who HASN'T been linked to Yahoo)... Sprint had what I consider to be an all right day... completing Step 1 in my argument that Sprint should redefine the Triple Play (phone, Internet and cable) and make it a wireless play.

In case you missed it, Sprint rolled out a new Simply Everything plan that includes unlimited talk, text, TV and web time on your cell phone.

Why is this big?

In my mind, there's a fairly lengthy list of reasons, not the least of which is that Sprint may have just convinced me to stick with my loyalty to them and not get a JesusPhone any time soon, which had been a front burner issue for me.

Second, and likely more importantly.... it opens up the door to a truly Wireless Triple Play option. We know Sprint has dabbled with mobile TV, so there are clearly some sort of options going on. In addition, Xohm is rolling out slowly now in a few test markets.

So, here's the question: We know that most triple play option offered from code caddies tends to run around $100 monthly for Cable, Internet and TV. Figure a "normal" cell plan costs around $50 (and I am coming in at a price I believe to be slightly low... but not everyone is like me and working off of a cell as their only phone).

That leads to Sprint putting together some sort of a premium for complete mobility. I'd think $50 monthly would be completely worth it. What about you? How much would you pay if the triple play was Cell phone, Mobile WiMAX, and TV sent to your phone and laptop?

No comments: