Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Touched all over

First off, I want to quickly congratulate Jeff Pulver on a great event yesterday morning. Jeff has been traveling the country throwing Social Media breakfasts, inviting Facebook and Twitter friends to get to know each other in person.

It's not entirely dissimilar from an event like the NY Tech Meetup, from Meetup.com, but in this case, you have some sort of connection already in place (friend of a friend, etc). Taking it a step further, Jeff explained that he thought using Facebook made great sense, because instead of the standard business card exchange, it's really easy to log into Facebook, find members of the group who you'd like to stay in contact with, and easily add them as friends (side note: after the event, I had lots of new Facebook and LinkedIn contacts, which was great).

The event came pretty much on the same day that the blogosphere was all abuzz with the launch of Friendfeed, a service to aggregate feeds from lots of networks (Twitter, Facebook, Digg, etc). I signed up for it.... but haven't really played with it too much yet.

During Jeff's event, I got to thinking about the different ways people can now get in touch with me, and I am wondering if I am getting to the point where I have too many touch points. In no particular order, here's a list of ways to get in touch with me:
  • Cell Phone (calls and text messages)
  • Twitter
  • AIM
  • Google Talk
  • E-mail (personal and work)
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • AFTB
  • MySpace (I'm still on it... maybe.... once a month?)
  • Friendfeed (admittedly... this one isn't yet a full blown contact point for me)

Not to go all "one ring to rule them all" here, but at some point... doesn't it make sense to have everything aggregated into a central location? Maybe Friendfeed can be that tool, but based on limited time on it... I'm not sure that's the case.

How do you deal with having so many touch points? Any tips?

No comments: